This is not an attempt at humor. I worry about my friends and family who live in red states. The old, white men who control their states have chosen to follow the demands of their ignorant and mentally challenged leader, Donald John Trump. They are willing to allow Americans to die if it will save President Obama’s economy, the same accomplishment Trump claimed to be his own. For whites in the south, Trump’s reelection is more important than the lives of their families, friends and neighbors.
What about African Americans who live in our southern states? They are aware that this pandemic has taken a greater toll on black families than any other. Mentally challenged white governors in Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee are planning to reopen businesses in their states. Black civil rights, labor, and health leaders called on governors to take several critical steps to safely reopen in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- An immediate rescission of the reopening of our states and reinstatement of shelter-in-place orders.
- Safety plans for each state before they reopen, which includes resources for PPE masks for workers.
- Real-time COVID-19 data disaggregated by county and race.
- Increase public health model testing, tracing, and treatment with specific support to communities that are low-income and communities of color.
- The immediate expansion of Medicaid in each state.
- Enhanced unemployment support for residents that have lost jobs or cannot work.
Of course, I doubt that the governors of these states will pay attention. They will do whatever Trump tells them to.
Georgia’s Governor, the man who rigged his own election in 2018, Brian Kemp, is reopening hair salons, barber shops, and gyms. Really, I couldn’t make this shit up.
I was a hairdresser for 20 years. Only doctors, nurses, dentists, and sex workers have a closer contact with other humans than I did.
As for gyms, they offer the same dangers as cruise ships and commercial airlines; they are all Petri dishes. Poor ventilation, sweat on the equipment, and close proximity can easily spread the virus.
Where the hell has common sense gone in America. Trump has harmed our nation in multiple ways. He is responsible for the “dumbing down” of America, and that will harm our nation’s future for generations.
Op-ed by James Turnage
My novels are available on Amazon